Monday, August 27, 2012

15 months-check up and update


It's hard to believe that this time last year, my maternity leave was ending and I was heading back to work.  It's crazy how quickly the time has passed, and how much my baby has changed and grown!  I don't even know if I can use the word baby anymore: he's full-on walking as his main mode of transportation, he's attempting to climb anything that he can, he spends his days trying to keep up with his big brother, and he's getting ready to transition to the Toddler room at school.  *GULP*  I'm definitely in denial, but I think that at this point, "toddler" would be a better word to describe him.

We had his well visit last week, and he looked great.  Here are the stats:

Height: 32 inches (75th percentile)
Weight: 24 lbs, 5 oz (46th percentile)
Head circumference: 48 cm (73rd percentile)

Looking back at my notes on Jake, he was 2 pounds lighter and an inch shorter at 15 months!  I am sad to report that some of Liam's chub that I love so much is starting to vanish now that he's become a professional walker.

My only concern going into the appointment was his vocabulary.  Full disclosure: I totally commit the worst parenting crime by comparing Liam to Jake all of the time. I know that you're not supposed to do this, but really, can you even help but doing it?  I have nothing else to compare to!  So of course, when I glanced back through my notes about Jake's milestones and language skills at 15 months and saw that he had closer to a dozen words (Liam has 5 or 6), I  couldn't help but worry.  The doctor assured me that Liam is still in the normal range for language development, and I'd probably find that he would just hit an explosion at some point and really take off with the talking.  Phew!  Liam's consistent words are mama, dada, ball, bubble and yum.  I have heard him say nana (referring to a banana), GG and PopPop before, but he doesn't say those on a regular basis.



His eating skills still continue to blow our minds, there are times when he honestly eats the same size portion as I do at dinner.  I have no idea where he puts it all!  I have to laugh sometimes because with Jake, we were soooo controlling over what he could and couldn't eat (cupcakes at any time aside from his birthday??  no way!  Chips, even at a party?  Yeah right!)  Well, let me just tell you how challenging it would be to keep to those same rules with Liam.....not only is he an eating machine, but he is so observant of what Jake and any other kids are eating.  Perks of being the 2nd kid, I guess!

Move over, baby Gap models!  There's a new kid in town.

1 comment:

Ben and Cori Momma said...

I just wanted to add that Ben's vocabulary isn't what Cori's was at that age either. It was a concern of mine at his 1 yr appt and the doctor said that as long as he understands what you are saying, that the "expressive" language will follow. I personally think that maybe because they are the 2nd child, they just sit back and observe so much more / love to watch their older sibling. And our 1st borns didn't have that. In any case, Liam is adorable!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...