Thursday, December 8, 2011

Elf on the Shelf

If you have kids, are you doing the Elf on the Shelf?  I was too cheap to actually buy the book/elf doll set from the store, but I happen to already own a creepy elf (thanks to my brother, who bought it as a joke for me years ago) so we decided to participate this year.

Last Sunday, I stuffed the creepy doll into a box, and while Jake was occupied in another room, put the box on the porch and rang the doorbell.  He tore into the box when I told him it was addressed to him, then I read him the note that was sent from Santa, which explained the elf and told Jake that he had to name him. 


After some intense deliberation, he decided on the name "Spider Chippy Elf".  Spider, as in Spiderman, and Chippy, after the Elf that's featured on the Elf on the Shelf TV special that he's been obsessively watching.






A perk to the elf is that parents can use him as leverage for good behavior; I tried this for the first time the other night when Jake was doing something, I can't even remember what, so it must have been a minor offense, and I told him that he'd better stop, Spider Chippy was watching and reports everything back to Santa.  This statement was met with a blank stare, followed by the statement "No he doesn't mommy.  Spider Chippy can't talk."  WHAT?  I cannot be outsmarted by my 3 year old.  Thinking on my feet, I told him that he can't talk around any people, that his magic is only used when everyone is sleeping, just like on the TV show.  He still looked suspicious, but said, "Oh.  Ok.  I hope Spider Chippy talks to Santa tonight".  Phew. 

So the thing with doing this is that I have to remember to move Spider Chippy every night after Jake goes to bed. I forgot to take a picture the first day, but I put him at Jake's seat at the kitchen table.  Since then, Spider Chippy has been doing some interesting things in our home.....

SpiderChippyElf@gmail.com 

Away in a manger
Yo-ho-ho, mateys! (ho-ho, get it??)



Stay tuned for more adventures of Spider Chippy Elf....

1 comment:

Team Clancy said...

My Mom bought us an Elf on he Shelf elf/ book set. I just opened it because we aren't doing it this year because, well, Owen is 6 months old :-) Anyway creepy doesn't even begin to describe that thing!!! Ewwww!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...