Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Checks & balances

You might have gathered from some of my previous posts that I love a good to-do list.  And while I definitely have a decent sized to-do list for the upcoming holiday season, I've also made a vow to myself that I'm not going to drive myself crazy with it.  I think it's so easy to get caught up in trying to get everything done, and have everything be perfect that you lose sight of what the holiday season really means.  And to me, the season means being able to spend that time with friends and family, introducing the kids to the magic of the season, and being thankful for all that we have. 

I already have the house decorated (and Jake "helped" me this year and had a blast) so that was a huge check off the list.  Shopping is totally done for Jake, and Liam will be getting a toy box so I just need to find one to order.  Other shopping is about 50% done.  Last year, Brian and I made a night out of wrapping while watching "Elf" so I think that's something we'll make a tradition...we had a good time, and wrapping is so much easier when there are two people involved! 

Photos for photo card were taken last weekend, photo cards created and ordered, just waiting for them to be delivered.  My address list is updated and ready to go, I'll probably address the cards on my lunch break one day.

We need to get a tree, and that will probably be done and decorated next weekend.  I hate baking, but I was invited to do a cookie exchange this year...I'll probably make things easy on myself and just buy the cookies.  We'll take the kids to see Santa of course, Jake has already been asking when we're going to do that.  My house is in desperate need of a deep cleaning...since I'm hosting Christmas again, I'm thinking of outsourcing that task.  My mother-in-law was nice enough to give me money for Christmas last year to be used toward house cleaning that I never used.  She's going to be mad if I don't use it for that purpose :)  So I figure this will be a good time to put some of it toward that. 

I'll need to grocery shop for Christmas dinner, but other than that...those are really the only things I HAVE to do.  I'm concentrating on those things, and those things only...anything else that gets done will be considered a bonus.  I'm sticking to that vow and making this month about spending time with my family, rather than running around stressed out about the whole season. 

What do YOU do to make sure you stick with the spirit of the holiday season, whatever that may mean to you?

1 comment:

Sara said...

I love doing the Christmas cards, so I always treat myself and let myself do those first. :) Seriously. I spend about 4 nights doing writing them all out. I love sending them early and then heading to the mailbox each day. I am decorated for Christmas, and I've bought some gifts already too. I guess I just try to remember that it is supposed to be fun, and when I find myself getting stressed, I either watch one of my favorite Christmas movies or just sit in silence and look at my tree or the nativity and try to get back to what it's all about. I don't really care for baking, nor do I have the time, so I gave that up a few years ago.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...