Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Book Review: Saving CeeCee Honeycutt and Genuine Lies

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman

From amazon: Steel Magnolias meets The Help in this Southern debut novel sparkling with humor, heart, and feminine wisdom.  Twelve-year-old CeeCee Honeycutt is in trouble. For years, she has been the caretaker of her psychotic mother, Camille-the tiara-toting, lipstick-smeared laughingstock of an entire town-a woman trapped in her long-ago moment of glory as the 1951 Vidalia Onion Queen. But when Camille is hit by a truck and killed, CeeCee is left to fend for herself. To the rescue comes her previously unknown great-aunt, Tootie Caldwell. In her vintage Packard convertible, Tootie whisks CeeCee away to Savannah's perfumed world of prosperity and Southern eccentricity, a world that seems to be run entirely by women. From the exotic Miz Thelma Rae Goodpepper, who bathes in her backyard bathtub and uses garden slugs as her secret weapons, to Tootie's all-knowing housekeeper, Oletta Jones, to Violene Hobbs, who entertains a local police officer in her canary-yellow peignoir, the women of Gaston Street keep CeeCee entertained and enthralled for an entire summer. 

It probably sounds cheesy, but I would best describe this book was "heartwarming".  Seriously. It was a good balance of a sad story, mixed with funny, light-hearted moments that made you love the characters.  Definitely worth the read!




 Genuine Lies by Nora Roberts

 This was the first book I've read by this author, and overall I enjoyed it.  I would categorize it as romance/mystery (if that's a real book category) and the mystery aspect of it kept me guessing the whole time.  There were some parts that seemed to drag on, and the author was a bit wordy for my taste at times...I found myself kind of skimming a lot of parts.  But other than that, it was good & I would read more by the same author.  

Side note-this book was written in 1991, so I was entertained a lot of the time by the description of the "high fashion" of the time, the lack of airport security, and the fact that people still had to rely on letters and home phones as their main way of communicating.  


I would also like to note that I was able to read both of these courtesy of my library for FREE on my kindle!!  YAY for the new library sharing feature!!

Up next: The Paris Wife, by Paula McLain 

1 comment:

Ali Causey said...

I'm normally not a fan of anything that is categorized under "romance," but Nora Roberts is the ONLY exception to that rule for me. I LOVE her books. Most of her trilogy series, I adore her characters. I find myself laughing out loud often when reading her books. One of my favorites of hers, though, would be "Three Fates." It's a little bit older, but not terribly so.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...