Thursday, May 1, 2008

Reading Rainbow

Amazingly, I had much more time on my hands to read once Jake was here than I realized I would, so I flew through quite a few books while on maternity leave. Here are a few that I can remember off the top of my head:

Escape (Carolyn Jessop)
Story of a woman who escaped from the polygomist FLDS cult (if you don't know what this is by now, you must be living under a rock)...we read this one for book club & I couldn't put it down! Well written, intriguing and disturbing, all at the same time.

Comeback (Claire and Mia Fontaine)
Another true story of mother's struggle's with her daughter's drug addiction and recovery in rehab. The mother & daughter co-wrote the book, so you get to hear both angles of the story. It was depressing to read at times, but again...I couldn't put it down.

Walking in Circles Before Lying Down (Merrill Markoe)
A light (almost silly) easy read, but I enjoyed it. After going through some life changes and troubles, the main character begins to "hear" the voices of dogs. All dogs, all the time...it's funny to hear someone interpret what they think dogs would say if they could talk (especially because I interpret things for Gracie all the time!)

Snowflower and the Secret Fan (Lisa See)
This one was just, eh for me. I think I was expecting a whole lot more because I had heard great things. I finished it, but only because I felt like I needed to.

Celebutantes (Amanda Goldberg & Ruthanna Khalighi Hopper)
Definitely chick lit, but had some laugh out loud funny (and often witty) parts. It's about the daughter of a famous director who is sucked into the life of hollywood, but doesn't quite know where she fits in. I enjoyed it, especially after reading quite a few serious books...I needed some fluff back in my life!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...