Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Jake's 6th Birthday Party--Cowabunga!!!


Last year for Jake's party, you may recall that I was feeling temporarily insane brave and decided to host a "Superhero Training Academy" at our house for Jake and 20 of his closest friends.  Plus their parents.  It was a great time and I don't regret it, but lesson learned!!  This party was being held some place where I didn't reside or have to clean after.

The answer as to where that would be was pretty easy when we went to a laser tag party for another friend a few months ago and the kids had a blast....Jake immediately requested the same for his party.  Works for me!  We found a laser tag place even closer to our house....Laser Storm ended up being a fun venue for the party!  Jake had also requested a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle theme (did we know these had made a huge comeback recently?) so I was able to throw in a few decorative elements to give him that theme. 

Here are some before pictures at our house....all of my boys were rocking TMNT shirts (Brian happened to already own one from a 90's themed party we went to last year, so that was handy!):


I didn't have a Ninja Turtle shirt (*sniff, sniff*) but they took pity on me and let me in some pictures anyway:


Time to head to the party!  We had quite a number of lil' ninja turtles coming (18 friends!) so we were put in the biggest party room they have, I can't speak to the size of the others.  But the one we had was sufficient, though left very little room for the parents to be.  Some of them were in the room, but most were hovering outside of the party room.  Which is ok for this age, the kids are totally fine by themselves anyway. 

Like I said, I didn't do too much as far as the ninja turtle theme (I had a whole pinterest board with homemade decorations and stuff, but really at the end of the day, I knew Jake would be happy with a new turtles shirt, some plates and some favor bags....so that's what I stuck with and made things easier on myself this year!!)  Simplify: my theme of 2014. 





Laser Storm provided a cake, but I also brought in a tray of brownies (and couldn't resist adding some turtles onto the top since I didn't order a themed cake this year!)


I forgot to get a shot of the favor bags, but I hit the jackpot at the dollar spot in Target right before Christmas (75% off!!!) and scored some markers, stickers, and stampers.  Threw all of that into a Ninja Turtles favor bag (and provided the masks on the table for the kids to take home) and the favors were covered. 

Time to party!! 


After assembling the kids in their adorable masks for a quick pic, they were off to the laser tag area!  I think it's safe to say that Jake and his friends had an absolute BLAST!  There were some kids who were a bit nervous to go in, but most of them were able to be calmed down and just a few had to have their parents join in at the last second.  But everyone came out of that arena talking excitedly about their adventure in there, with huge smiles on their faces.  That's all I needed.  Party success. 

After that, it was time to refuel their energy with some food!  Pizza was optional at the party place, so we got a few pizzas for everyone...they also let you bring in your own food, so my parents were kind enough to pick up a huge tray of chicken fingers and popcorn chicken from walmart for us.  There wasn't a ton of leftover food, so I'd say it was a hit. 

Time for cake and singing!

Look at the birthday boy's smile :)  love it.

After enjoying some cake/brownies, it was time for presents.  This kid hit in the jackpot in terms of Legos, which is awesome because he is obsessed!!


The birthday party package came with arcade tokens for each kid, so they were off and running after the presents!


Overall, I was happy with Laser Storm and would recommend it.  As I said, the party package included the cake, the room (with one party coordinator...that would be my only criticism, with 20 kids, I think there should have been 2 coordinators...our guy looked overwhelmed!), arcade tokens, drinks, paper products, and one game of laser tag.  They allowed me to bring in outside food, which was nice and had no issue putting out my tablecloths and masks on the table that I had dropped off the night before. 

It was an excellent "Shell-ebration".  Get it, SHELL-ebration, like the turtles?  Oh, nevermind.....

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...