Friday, January 20, 2012

The big birthday bash!

I have to admit, I was hesitant about throwing a "friend" birthday party for Jake's birthday this year.  By hesitant, I mean that I had no intentions of doing so.  I always thought that 5 was the big year that you started to invite friends.  But, when all of Jake's friends started having parties, and Jake started to talk about his own birthday party, Brian asked if I would be willing to acknowledge the fact that 4 is the new 5 in the birthday party world.  So, we decided to go ahead and do it this year...and I'm glad we did.

We had the party at Wildwood Highlands, and I was really happy with the way it turned out there (I'll do a full review post later on)  Surprisingly, Jake seemed a bit overwhelmed when the party first started, and I got nervous that the whole thing was going to be a disaster.  He was doing things that he normally doesn't do, like hiding behind my legs when people tried to talk to him, and at one point he even asked Brian to hold him (?)  I asked him what was wrong, and he said he felt scared.  My guess is that maybe it was all a bit much...most of the kids got there all at one time, and of course they're excited, so they're kind of all buzzing around him, trying to get his attention, etc...he warmed up once the cake came out and I told him we could open presents soon :)




After the cake and present festivities, it was time to move on to the play zone!  Each child received admission to the play zone (ball pit, climbing tubes, etc...) and some tokens to play arcade games.  All of the kids seemed to enjoy themselves, it was fun to watch them.


Liam hung out with GG and Pappy pretty much the whole party and really enjoyed checking out all of the lights and noise.  He took a brief nap on GG, then had some lunch. 


"Um...I was told there would be cake?"

GG and Pappy joined us back at the house and Jake got to open more presents from them, and we were able to relax the rest of the afternoon (well, everyone but Brian, who spent a considerable amount of time removing toys from packages and assembling everything)  The day was a success!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...