Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Hitting the running wall


So...running.  Yeah, summer was not my friend.  I hate being hot, I hate sweating, so there was essentially nothing about running in the warmer weather that was appealing to me.  My mother-in-law was kind enough to give me her old treadmill that she no longer used, but I did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would.  I had visions of watching some episodes of the Real Housewives, while gleefully running in my nicely air conditioned basement and simultaneously shouting at the TV about Theresa's latest antics in NJ.  The reality was that the treadmill hurt my body, the air conditioning wasn't even that refreshing when there's no air blowing against you while running, and it was distracting trying to watch TV and not fall backwards off the treadmill, all at the same time. 

Aside from that, I was also growing frustrated with the fact that running was not helping the entire reason I started doing it in the first place (which is because I have high blood pressure); what happened instead was that my blood pressure has started to increase since running.  What a ripoff! I felt betrayed by the medical community! Liars.

I will take any chance I get to use lines from Austin Powers in every day life.

I know, I know.  There is obviously not a direct correlation there...I know that my blood pressure did not go up because I started running.  But it is such a slap in the face to see absolutely no improvement (at this point, I'd even take it just staying the same over going up!)  So that got me down, it really did.  I won't insert a self-pity party here, but it definitely played into my lack of motivation to get out there in the month of August.  

So, as you saw in my last post, I muddled through that 5K.  It wasn't pretty, but I did it.  Now the problem is, that I haven't done it since then. Zip. Zilch.  Nada.  Not a single step of running have I done.  Between feeling defeated by my blood pressure, Jake starting school, and having some busy weekends, it just hasn't happened.  But, it stops here.  I'm back in the saddle as of this week.  I went out last night and did 2 miles without stopping, which was better than I had anticipated considering it's been 2.5 weeks of sedentary behavior.  I hope to get out at least one other time this week, hopefully 3, since the weather is supposed to continue to be cool. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...