Pittsburgh is an awesome city, for many reasons, including but not limited to:
- Access to many cultural events and locations, including museums, a science center, theaters, and much more.
- One of the top zoos in the country
- Steelers (and even though I'm not a fan of hockey or baseball, I should have in a shout-out to the Pens and the Pirates, too!)
- No shortage of colleges and universities (including Pitt, which is near and dear to our hearts as alums)
- Tons of parks and other family-friendly places
- And the most recent reason.........the arrival of a giant duck!!!
If you're not familiar with the duck, you may be sitting there thinking, "What the quack? I'm confused. What is the point?" The rubber duck is a work created by artist Florentijin Hofman, and he has been to many other cities (although Pittsburgh is the FIRST city in the US to welcome this big guy, I thank you very much.) From the artist's website:
The Rubber Duck knows no frontiers, it doesn't discriminate people and doesn't have a political connotation. The friendly, floating Rubber Duck has healing properties: it can relieve mondial tensions as well as define them. The rubber duck is soft, friendly and suitable for all ages!
So basically, the answer to the question "why a giant rubber duck?" is "Why not??"
It was also the first time we've been to visit Point State Park since it had been remodeled. It was beautiful! They really put a lot of work into the area, and we can't wait to visit again next summer. While the kids definitely loved the duck (in fact, we couldn't get Liam to stop staring at him long enough to snap a picture!), they were obsessed with the fountain.